Friday, May 15, 2009

Rise and Shine --- We've lost something

Good Morning and welcome to what could be another action-packed weekend!

Way back in the day (again, talking about the heady 1970s), I had one of those grade-school projects where you were tasked to ask questions of an older person.
Well, the oldest person I knew was my grandfather (although, looking back now he wasn't that old). So, I dutifully took my copy book over to his house one day and asked my series of questions.
From what I can remember (getting old myself), they were pretty innocuous. Things like: What's the biggest thing you like about this time? (It's easier to get around) What don't you like? (People don't appreciate what they have)Who is the best Phillies player you ever saw? (Mike Schmidt)
Well, he died a few years ago, but, every once in a while, I wonder what he would say about our time.
Short of calling together a seance (too busy and it's a scam anyway), I have to imagine what the answers would be now.
I think his greatest lament would be the lack of courtesy people have these days.
For many, you can walk into the office every day, say 'Good Morning' (or afternoon or evening) and get no response. Some people don't even look up from their desk. Others may give a grunt.
Go out to a store and everybody is pushing. They need to get that orange RIGHT NOW. Or they need to get past you THIS MOMENT.
Then get in the car to drive home and, if somebody isn't driving right up on your bumper, they are trying to speed past you. Damn the rest of the people in the road, I need to get where I'm going or the WORLD IS GOING TO END.
So, while Mike Schmidt might be the greatest Phillie of all time and we have even easier ways to get around, we've lost something.
We need to get it back. We need to start slow. Say 'Thank You' to the toll collector. Take a different orange. Lay off the horn.
Then again, maybe I need a Ouija board because we have too much time for this:


If you have any cool links or photos, send them along to onlinedelco@gmail.com

No comments: