Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rise and Shine --- An ear and hand for music

Good Morning and here's hoping worms don't eat my work!

One thing I regret is I never really learned how to play a musical instrument. Sure, I had chances. When I was real young, my parents brought a guitar into the house. My younger brother took lessons, but I just strummed. After all, there were too many baseball games to keep track.
As a high school freshman, I took a piano class. Having never read music or touched a piano before the first day of class, it was a difficult transition. I learned a little (very little), then abandoned it the next year.
Now, just by ear, I can fake through a few songs, but mostly it's just banging. I can play a mean drum set on the back of the couch.
So, when the oldest boy in the house had the opportunity (through school) to learn the violin, we were very happy when he took the chance. Sure, it takes work and he may never be a member of the Philadelphia Orchestra, but it's a good skill to have.
Last night was the annual spring music night at the school. There were some outstanding performances (the girls playing 'Eleanor Rigby' on the violin had the crowd in awe), some humorous moments (first graders doing anything are funny) and some interesting song interpretations ('Yellow Submarine' on the Xylophone?).
There was only one worth watching from the second row (and I'm sure from the first row, next row, all the way to the back for some).
I know it's hard. I know it's a pain to practice. I know it might not sound 'professional,' but thanks, Liam, for trying.
Meanwhile, since it is April Fool's Day, here's a funny one:


If you have any cool links or photos, send them along to onlinedelco@gmail.com

No comments: