Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rise and Shine --- What's the need?

Good Morning and welcome to the middle of the week!

The request comes every other day now (it used to be once a week).
'Dad, everybody is school has a cell phone. Can I have one?'
The answer is always the same: 'I didn't have a cell phone until I was 40 years old. You don't need one at 10.'
Now, I've come to the realization that cell phones are now a way of life. We don't even have a land line at home anymore, it's just better to keep the cells around.
Still, I can't wrap my mind around why elementary school students need cell phones.
Maybe, just maybe, if the student is involved in a lot of clubs that have open-ended meetings, a cell phone is useful. After all, most children probably wouldn't know how to use a pay phone if they could even find one.
So, maybe in a small instance, a cell phone is necessary.
While my answer is kind of contrite, I don't see the need for a 10-year old who gets dropped off at the school door every morning, then gets picked up at the school door every afternoon needs a cell phone.
At least I'll keep fighting the battle until I'm too beat up.

No comments: