Friday, August 14, 2009

Rise and Shine --- Another Vick-tim

Good Morning and welcome to Friday!

Way back in the day, I started out in this business as a sports writer. Even before doing it professionaly, I was sports mad. I would watch every game on television and get to the stadiums whenever possible. I would take notes, keep stats, critique coaching decisions and keep an eye on the play (be it in baseball, football, basketball, whatever).
Then, I would write up my own account of the game and compare it to what appeared in the newspaper the next day. Then I was able to actually cover sports for a living. I saw many a great game on every level (from little league to the pros). I thought it was great.
There are many reasons why I no longer do any of that. They range from the mundane to the ridiculous, but one of the main reasons is the attitudes of athletes.
To see Terrell Owens complaining about feeding his family while making millions and then causing trouble because he couldn't make millions more was the final turn off.
While there are people dying in an unnessacary war and others just trying to get by on a daily basis, sports (the pro level anyway) lost its luster.
Now, with the Eagles signing of quarterback Michael Vick, I am glad I no longer work in the 'Toy Department.'
Maybe the guy deserves a second chance. That's not for me to decide. The bottom line is if Joe Smith down the street had a dog-fighting ring and killed dogs in his backyard, he would not be able to work again.
In our strange world, those who can throw a ball or run or hit get a clean slate.
Vick will get over a $1 million this year. He shouldn't get $1 to play professional sports.
Just in case you don't know how brutal Vick's crime is, check out this documentary from the UK:

No comments: