Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Rise and Shine --- Homework

Good Morning and welcome to the rain!

When I was a student (so many moons ago), like everybody else, I hated homework. I would do whatever I could to push off the doing of homework. I would pretend I was asleep. I would pretend I was sick. I would pretend I didn't have any homework.
Eventually, of course, I had to get the homework done. I can remember more than a few times trying to do my homework when my friends were outside playing. I can remember my friends ringing the doorbell, only to be told I was still doing homework.
What I don't remember is having as much homework as is being assigned now. A fifth-grader I know can spend hours a night (late afternoon, actually) doing math, spelling, grammer, social studies.
One Canadian family got so fed up with the homework, they worked out a deal with the school to stop it from coming home.
This is a big dilemma. I know children need to do homework, but I also know there are so inundated with tests and the like during school hours they need down time as well. So, we try to get the homework done right after school so the rest of the night is free.
Teachers say it's better to let the children decompress after school before doing homework. Well, with work, activities, dinner and the fast-approaching bed time, that doesn't fly.
If teachers really want children to be so well-rounded, don't give so much homework. You have them all day, get the work done during school hours. Give them a half hour at the end of the day to get some work done. Of course, thanks to the fabulous 'No Child Left Behind' mandate, there is virtually no time for lunch let alone extra work.
I wish there was a better solution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed about homework.
I met with our teachers about it. Each one says, I only give 10-15 minutes a night. 7 classes at 10 minutes, 70 minutes. at 15 minutes that's 105 minutes. Way to long..

I send in notes. Especially if my children have other family related duties or conflicts.