Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rise and Shine --- Social media

Good Morning and welcome to some more rain!

I'll be the first to admit I was very, very late to jump in to the social media pool. I ignored MySpace and it finally faded away.
I ignored the first Tweets from Twitter (You are going to the store? Who cares.) All those e-mails from Linkedin quickly went into the trash.
On a whim a few months ago, though, I was prodded into trying Facebook.
Hey, it's always interesting to see where old friends ended up as life continued.
Now, I feel practically worldly.
I realize I know people from such far off lands as California, Boston, Wisconsin, Las Vegas and Bridgeport. My best friend even filed some things from Iraq.
I was able to 'talk' to people I haven't seen or thought of in over 20 years.
I was able to search and find old grade school friends, college friends, work friends. You know as you go from day to day you sometimes forget they are all out there.
It somehow makes the world smaller and gives a sense of community. Sure, there are those 'I'm going to the store' posts, but most are just a few words to let everybody know you are doing OK.
After playing around with a personal page for awhile, I started a Daily Times Facebook page. Thanks to all those out there who have joined. (If you haven't joined yet, why not? CLICK HERE to become a fan) We are now approaching 1,000 people who like to keep updated throughtout the day with the happenings here.
Where the future for all of us will lead is anybody's guess, but now I know there are people out there who are interested.

No comments: