Monday, August 13, 2012

Rise and Shine --- The heat is on

Good Morning and was that really George Michael singing during the Olympics Closing Ceremonies?

It was nice to open the door this morning and not be hit by a wall of heat. There virtually no humidity out there this morning.

What a wonderful feeling!

I was standing in the store the other day while the daughter tried on some clothes (her new favorite activity) and somebody standing outside the dressing room said, "It's like we really didn't have a summer this year. It was too hot to even walk outside."

Now, I wouldn't go that far. I mean, it is the Northeast. It's going to get hot, it's going to cool off. Sure, we had one of the hottest July's ever, but we weren't cooped up. I think it's a sign of the times.

When I hear these things, my mind immediately thinks back to my grandparents.

They didn't have any kind of air conditioning. It was hot, they dealt with it.

A few weeks ago, I was at my dad's boyhood home. He showed the children his old room on the third floor of one of those really old houses that have no air flow.

When they asked how he could sleep with it being so hot, he said he had a fan for the window.

I'll be the first to admit I thank the stars for the person who invented air conditioning.

I think, though, it kind of spoils us sometimes.

Not that I'll give it up or anything...

No comments: