Monday, August 6, 2012

Rise and Shine --- Growing up

Good Morning and welcome to the only place on the Internet you need to be!



My parents have a real nice pool in their backyard. It was put in when I was in high school, but we always had some kind of pool in the backyard. So, I grew up going swimming every day throughout the summer.

About once a week now (sometimes more when it's as hot as it's been), I drive the three young ones over to enjoy a dip in the water.

OK, OK, I enjoy putting my toes in or doing a cannonball as well.

There is no diving board, but the children enjoyed jumping off the side and into the water. Last year at this time, I had to catch them as they jumped into the 4-foot part of the pool. They would jump, I'd catch and it would start all over again. And again. And again.

This year, they still were jumping in the shallower end, but didn't want me to catch them. I stood by, making sure nobody got hurt.

When we woke up yesterday and felt the heat, it was time to take the ride.

A few minutes after jumping in the first time, the 7-year old said to me: "Daddy, do you think I can swim in the deep end?"

Sure, I told her, if you can swim in the shallow end, you can swim in the deep end. I'll be there if you get nervous.

"No thanks," she said. "I can do it."

So, she got out of the pool, walked to the deep end (8 foot) and jumped in. She then swam over to me and said, "See. I could do it."

Yes, yes you can. It's a good thing I could blame the pool water for that tear in my eye.



No comments: