Blogs > Rise and Shine

Good Morning everbody. Check here for your wake up call every day. We will have updated traffic, weather and few fun things to get you through the morning.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rise and Shine --- The cloud is scary

Good Morning and how about that Queen!
So, about 2 p.m. Friday, my iPhone took a dive. Well, actually, it was in a bathing suit pocket when the wearer took a dive.
We don't need to go into any depth there, but, suffice to say, the phone went to a watery grave.
Sure, I tried all the Internet hits. The now paperweight sat in a bag of rice for hours. It was left out in the sun. It was blow-dried. It was plugged in.
By midday Saturday, the obvious was becoming fact in my mind, the phone was dead. I was going to have to get a new one.
I tried going though my provider (cough, AT&T, cough), but, even though my next upgrade would be available in January, they refused to help me out. If I wanted to replace the iPhone, I was going to have to pay like $450.
Uh, it's not that important.
Then I remember a coworker talking about how his son's iPhone gets wet (OK, it gets beer spilled on it) every six months or so. He goes to the Apple store to get a new one.
I figured there was no way he was paying $450 every six months, so, it was off to Apple we went.
Got there about 11:30 and, yes, there was a line since the store doesn't open until Noon on Sundays. By the way, how can Apple cry poor when people line up in front of their store at 11:30 on a Sunday.
After talking to one of the store's resident 'Geniuses' (Wait, I thought they all worked here), I got a new phone for about $150.
It's not like I have $150 sitting around doing nothing, but I figured I needed the phone (don't have a landline) and it was better than waiting until January.
I turned the new phone on, went through the set up and, about 10 minutes later, it was like I had never dunked the old phone. All the photos, numbers and browsing history were there. A game I was playing 10 minutes before the water, was at the same place I left.
Forget big brother, it's the cloud that's scary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home