Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rise and Shine -- Blue & White Lie

Good Morning and if it's going to be this hot, it might as well be sunny!


So, the Penn State football program was effectively killed by the NCAA yesterday.

Sure, the Nittany Lions will be playing this season and for the foreseeable future, but the sanctions imposed probably sunk the program to the depths of the game.

The loss of scholarships, bowl ban and money lost will take at least a decade or more to overcome.

To which, I say, who cares?

Penn State for years, even before the Jerry Sandusky cover-up, has been putting out a lie.

Joe Paterno was not a nice man. He was condescending. He was nasty. He was not friendly.

He apparently was different to the players, but to the media and others who crossed his paths, well, forget about it.

I only had a couple of interactions with Paterno, both as a student at the University of Pittsburgh. My junior year I traveled to Penn State to cover the game. I saw Paterno at a Friday night get together the University hosted before home games.

Bright eyed and bushy tailed, I walked up to Paterno and, with my hand out, said, "Mr. Paterno it's an honor to meet you."

The response from the coach was, well, an eye-opener, "Well, it's not an honor to meet you."

He then turned away.

I've heard similar stories over the years. Sure, the school did a good PR job of portraying their coach as this down-to-earth person.

Now, more people can see the truth.

1 comment:

Rdub said...

Vince, best post that I have read on this fiasco. Thank you for exposing this creep.