Thursday, May 23, 2013

Rise and Shine --- Oh, those Phillies

Good Morning and who's out there this early?

The first memories I have as a Phillies fan is listening to the radio with my grandmother as they lost yet another game. Those Phillies teams in the early 70s, though, were soon to become World Champs.
They put out a lineup with Mike Schmidt, Greg Luzinski and Bob Boone. There was Steve Carlton on the mound, which pretty much meant a win every time.
Those winning teams, though, were short-lived. They Phillies that followed put a new spin on terrible teams. When your season is pretty much over in May, well, it's tough to remain a Phillies fan.
My children's first real memories of the Phillies is a championship team. I reveled right along with them. Yes, finally, the Phillies were the best in the league. The best players wanted to be here.
My children don't know what it's like to see a bunch of losers run out there every day, collecting a paycheck, then heading off to the golf course in October.
Now, though, I'm afraid we are heading that way.
This year is going to be a tough one for Phillies fans. Yes, we have to admit Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Carlos Ruiz and Ryan Howard probably have to be traded and replaced.
Yes, it's time, but I, for one, just want to hang on a little longer.
I'll admit it would be tough to see Rollins in, say, a Cardinals uniform. I don't want to see Utley (even an injury-riddled Utley) legging out singles for the Dodgers. I remember how weird it was for a young fan to see Luzinski with the White Sox or Carlton with the Indians.
I remember when the last strong nucleus of Phillies faded. I hope this time it doesn't take as long to get back.

No comments: