Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The satisfaction, then the pain

Good Morning and welcome to another May day!

A few years ago, my brother was talking about training for the Ironman competition. Yes, that crazy, swim a lot of miles, bike a lot of miles and then run a marathon. He was talking about how tired he was, but was able to keep going because he was determined to get it done.
When his first one was over, he immediately signed up for the next year's race (or whatever you call it).
He started talking about how he thought anybody could do it. He looked at me and said, "You could do it. It's just swimming and riding a bike. Then you can walk the 26 miles if you had to."
Yeah, right.
Anyway, both my brothers were with me Sunday during the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia, the 10-mile tour of the city. Of course, it's a 10-mile tour you need to get done in 2 and a half hours.
We were among the 40,000 who decided it would be a cool thing.
You know what, it really was cool. It was exciting. It was a miracle.
Somehow, I was able to finish the whole 10 miles under the cutoff point (if my brothers weren't there, by the way, I wouldn't have lasted 2 miles).
Making it to the finish line was overwhelming. The pain later was just a bit of a nuisance. If we could have signed up for next year, we would have done it right away.
I finally understood what he was talking about.


No comments: