Tuesday, February 26, 2008

RISE AND SHINE

GOOD MORNING DELAWARE COUNTY

Quick question to throw out there this morning: When did stop signs stop beating stop signs?
When I took (and failed) my first driving test all those years ago, I missed the first stop sign at the test center. Five minutes into the test, the state trooper told me to turn around.
He said I failed and to come back in a week after some practice.
I went back, made damn sure I stopped at the sign, then passed the test. (Let's not talk about the parallel parking bit).
Now, I've come to believe I was ahead of the times. Nobody stops at stop signs. Sure, some may slow down, tap the brakes, then speed up again. Will the 10 seconds it takes to actually stop keep you from something so important?
Last night while taking a walk with the boys, we saw an Upper Darby police car drive toward a stop sign, slow down and watch another car blow through one on a cross street, then floor it. He didn't even slow down at the next sign.
So, what that means to me is we don't need to stop anymore. I guess Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood has passed his own law saying stop signs don't matter any more.
Uh, probably not, but if we can't even get those who are supposed to uphold the law as a way of life to stop, why should anybody?
THINK OF THIS the next time you ignore road signs.

If you have any cool links or photos, send them along to onlinedelco@gmail.com

No comments: