Friday, February 29, 2008

RISE AND SHINE

GOOD MORNING, DELAWARE COUNTY

Truth be told, I cut my teeth in the newspaper business covering soccer. I did it in college, I did it when I got out of college.
I talked with some very knowledgable people. I talked with coaches. I talked with players. I talked with fans.
Even after all that talk, I still don't really understand the game.
Contrary to some opinion, it's not a boring game. When you get two good teams playing -- and professional players -- it can be downright exciting.
The World Cup is just as good as the Super Bowl, World Series or NBA Finals.
Part of the problem, at least in one opinion, is, like many things, it's not marketed well. Soccer in the U.S. doesn't have a machine behind it like the NFL or NASCAR.
The big push is to say 'it's the world's most popular game.'
Who cares? Everybody in the world can drive a car, but NASCAR has been able to push itself into a big-time business. Is racing any more exciting. For the most part, it's just a bunch of guys (and some girls) driving around in a big circle.
Wake me when it's over.
Anyway, here are some soccer links to check out. Maybe some of this will be seen in Chester:

The most famous foul in the world

Here are some good images of the game

The Beckhams talk about the game, life

The most famous goal in MLS history

Finally, some highlights of the greatest soccer coach of all time.

If you have any cool links or photos, send them along to onlinedelco@gmail.com

No comments: