Wednesday, March 19, 2008

RISE AND SHINE

GOOD MORNING, DELAWARE COUNTY!

I offer a public service for you today.
First, though, a bit of history.
The first time I realized how exciting the NCAA Mens' Basketball tournament could be was in 1979. That's the year Michigan State and Magic Johnson played a classic against Larry Bird and Indiana State.
I know, having studied the history, the tournament had been around before 1979, but that's when it really began.
Click Here to see some highlights of the game.
Anyway, from that point on, I really studied the teams in the tournament. I couldn't wait until the newspaper came out the next day with the brackets (remember, there was no ESPN back in the dark ages).
I did as much research as I could about the teams, tried to pick the winners, then got frustrated when my favorite teams would lose.
As TV got more involved, the tournament became bigger. Soon, newspapers like USA Today were putting out special sections with all the stats or other info needed to make 'expert' opinions on the games.
I can still see Michael Jordan making the shot. Thanks to the Internet, you can see it now
I remember Australian rent-a-player Andrew Gaze somehow pushing Seton Hall of all teams into the finals. Or Danny Manning and Kansas shocking high-scoring Oklahoma.
Still, I never really could get a handle on the pools. Sure, I tried. I watched thousands of games throughout the year. Studied the stats. Studied the history, then watched as all my Final Four teams were bounced in the second round. Year, after year, after year.
Then, in 1995, somebody I know now as the greatest mind in history, picked UCLA to win it all.
UCLA? That team can't win. What, are you crazy?
UH, UCLA beat Arkansas in 1995.
So, what does that have to do with 2008? Well, I did no studying, saw very few games and had a 5-year old pick the games.
So, when you see a Final Four of North Carolina, Kansas, Pitt and UCLA, don't forget you read it here first.
When Winthrop and San Diego make runs, don't say I didn't tell you so.
South Alabama? Take them to win two games.
So, there you have it. A sure winner.
Now, to get everybody fired up, a few words of wisdom from the greatest coach in college basketball history:


If you have any cool links or photos, send them along to onlinedelco@gmail.com

No comments: