Monday, February 13, 2012

Rise and Shine --- Music to my ears

Good Morning and welcome to the second week of February???

So, I tuned into the Grammy's last night. Usually, it's a show that makes me feel a little old when performers hit the stage I've never heard of and then find out they are the hottest ones around.
This year, though, it was different. I have the Adele album. I have most of the Foo Fighters release. Tony Bennett? Glen Campbell? Bruce Springsteen? Paul McCartney? All older than dirt, yet still putting on a good show.
I'm actually going to call this my music weekend. If you've ever been out to hear live music, you know the difference. There are no mixing machines (at least for some). There fanciest equipment is a guitar.
It started Friday night when I drove to Allentown to see a friend's band. Now, I've known the guitarist/vocalist for about 20 years, but, aside from maybe on a couch, had never seen him perform live.
It was a no-brainer for me when I found out the band was going to perform. I wanted to be there and it was a lot of fun. Sure, the songs were old rockers, but so were the members of the band, so it kind of fit.
Last night, I got late word local blues/jazz singer Lisa Chavous was performing in Glenolden. I've heard buzz about her vocals from other blogs and she shows up on the radio once in a while.
Another worthwhile time. If you've never seen her sing, do yourself a favor and find a show. It's a little like heaven dropped down on stage for a little bit.
Really, there's nothing like a live show. Like Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters said last night, "Music is not about fanciest equipment, it's about heart."

No comments: