Monday, March 19, 2012

Rise and Shine --- The growth of No

Good Morning and how many out there has not torn up their basketball bracket?

Anyway, when the children were young and learning to talk, I didn't pay too much attention to the word "No."
After all, they would say it all the time.
Do you want some more peas?
"No."
Do you want to some cake?
"No."
Do you want to go outside?
"No."

Most of the time, they actually meant "Yes," but were just getting the language down. A lot like that annoying baby in the Jimmy Fallon credit card commercial.
As they got older, "No" started to be used less frequently. More often, they would just ignore me when I asked them to do something.
Now, though, as the oldest is reaching those dreaded teenage years, "No" is becoming an act of defiance.
Clean your room?
"No."
What?
"NO!"
I SAID Clean your room!
"NO. NO. NO."

It goes on like that until they realize I am serious about cleaning the room and they walk away.
Maybe I should try that the next time they want pizza.

No comments: