Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The zoo outside

Good Morning and welcome back to the 'Net!

There have always been rabbits running around the neighborhood.
I noticed them the first day after moving in three years ago. The rabbits would run through the back yard and disappear under a neighbor's shed.
They were kind of cute in a wild rabbit way. I made sure never to feed them. Running through was fine, but I didn't want permanent visitors.
Last year, it seemed like the number of rabbits had increased. I saw them on several front lawns sitting in the sun. I figured, well, you know, rabbits.
I've seen plenty of chipmunks, squirrels and birds as well.
Anyway, while take the trash out one time last summer, there was a new visitor. A skunk was walking through the yard. Not any skunk. To me, in the dark with my imagination running wild, it was about two yards long and was coming right for me.
I ran inside and didn't go out after dark for about a month.
OK, it's nature. We've actually invaded their space. As long as they don't bother me or my tomato plants, we can co-exist.
Sunday night I was standing outside and I heard some soft steps of something running along the curb. It sounded like a cat. I looked closer and it had a long, black & white tail.
This morning, three rabbits were sitting on the front lawn.
When are the bears coming?

No comments: