Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rise and Shine --- What happened today in history?

Good Morning and wasn't it nice not to see any white stuff on the ground this morning?

So, yesterday morning before school, I asked the 12-year old why Dec. 7 was a big day.
"I don't know," he said.
Come on, I prodded, it's one of the most important days in history.
Perplexed, he tried to remember, but finally can another "I don't know."
Really, I guess that's the way of the world. The further we move away from Pearl Harbor, the less likely it's going to be mentioned in school. It happens with everything. We don't talk about Appomattox the way they did in the early part of the 1900s.
In the year 2041, they probably will gloss over 9/11. It's up to us to keep the history alive. So, I recorded a couple of Pearl Harbor shows yesterday and will put them on today (as long as I can get past the whining).
Of course, history comes fast and furious in December. After all, we all know what happened Dec. 8.

No comments: