Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Reading and no rainbows

Good Morning and welcome back to the 'Net!

I picked up a Kindle about two years ago. I was heading on a trip and thought it would be better than taking along a couple of books.
In those two years, I've probably read more than I ever have in my life.
I enjoy reading all kinds of different books. When they are well-written, they truly do take you to different places. I'm of the idea now I'd rather read a book than see a movie.
Unfortunately, I don't know if reading is coming across to the next generation.
Most of the time, teachers tell students to read 20 minutes a night at home. I found out a couple of years ago, they can't actually assign that as homework (it would take time away from actual homework, I guess, was the reason), so they "recommend" reading.
For some (and a couple I know in my house), that means they can't be forced to read.
I don't get it. Using the Kindle or the Nook (I have both) makes it so easy to go from page-to-page.
I understand there's now beeps and whistles, but there can be so much more.
I guess it's a battle I won't give up.

No comments: