Monday, April 2, 2012

Rise and Shine --- Death of Radio

Good Morning and is it baseball season yet?

There has been a lot written about the 'Death of Newspapers' and how the changing media landscape means we have to adapt. OK, now I'm running Facebook and Pinterest pages as well as a Twitter feed. Adapting, we are. Just look at where we were 2 years ago and see how vastly different it is now.
Newspapers, though, aren't the only media entity starting into a worm hole without any idea where it is going.
Over the last week or so, I've been listening to what I'll call the 'Death of Radio.'
Actually, if my car had one of those fancy MP3 player plug ins, I probably wouldn't listen to much commercial radio.
Since it doesn't, I find myself hitting the scan button more and more in hopes of finding something different.
Go through the stations on any given afternoon and you'll hear the same Madonna, Prince, Led Zeppelin and Journey songs. Sure, every once in a while, there will be a Sam & Dave or Beatles song thrown in.
Basically, you can look at any Billboard Music Chart over the last 20 years and find the playlists of local radio stations.
It used to be we could hear some 'B' sides or new music that might pique our interest.
Just this morning, I flipped from one station playing Led Zeppelin to another playing the same song.
I know stations are all about getting the listeners, but how about throwing something different in there once in a while?

No comments: