Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Rise and Shine --- Electronics

Good Morning and laugh it up!

It's amazing how things can change so quickly.
I look forward to checking my e-mail throughout the day (and having a good laugh or a smile when they arrive). A couple of months ago, all I did was clear out junk mail (it's amazing how much of that slips through the various security measures).
About 10 years ago, even a cell phone was a bit foreign. OK, it was good for emergencies and ordering pizza while out of the house, but that was about it. Back in the old days (and I'm talking those heady 90s), if somebody needed to get me and I wasn't home, there was an answering machine.
My phone doesn't ring any more often now (actually, probably less. I don't remember getting a phone call that wasn't bill-related). Still, I have it with me. Wait, is that a beep?
It's not that I don't think it's better now, it's just different.
When I was 14, I saved my birthday money and walked up to the local Sears to get an electronic football game. I was so happy I finally had it (I was the last of my friends to get one) that I played for hours. Picked it up the next day and played a little less. Finally, it was relegated to that spot under the bed where toys went to die.
Yesterday, I was watching a 14-year old play a game on his phone. OK, it wasn't so much a game as an excuse to send texts. I have to sometimes force him to put the thing away during the day. Somehow, I don't think it will end up under the bed (actually, it seriously better not).


No comments: