Blogs > Rise and Shine

Good Morning everbody. Check here for your wake up call every day. We will have updated traffic, weather and few fun things to get you through the morning.

Monday, September 9, 2013

Crying at the fence

Good Morning and here we are again!

There were times during the summer that I couldn't wait for school to start. There were times I wished it wouldn't begin again (of course, I also wished I won the lottery so work wouldn't begin again, but that's another story all together).
When school did start last week, well, I figured it was about time.
What I wasn't prepared for was the sleepless nights leading up to the first day.
It wasn't the children. They went out like lights even though there was some nervous excitement about starting a new year.
It was me. You see, the oldest boy is in 9th grade. High school. Really, high school.
For some reason, that kind of hit me like a rock. Every time I closed my eyes I saw him standing at the fence screaming when we dropped him off for kindergarten.
I kept up a front then. All I really wanted to do was scoop him up and take him home. Forget about school. Don't grow up.
I knew that wasn't the way it could happen, so I drove away while he was standing at the fence. What he didn't know is I would park a block away and walk up just far enough until I could see he would be OK
Of course he was. He'll be OK in high school. He'll be OK when he gets to college.
In a way, though, I hope he will always be the boy at the fence looking for me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home