Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Time to get it going

Good Morning and there's a reason I haven't looked out the window this morning!

I don't consider myself an athlete by any stretch of the limitations of the word. I played sports though high school, but, when I look back, it was for the social interaction. I was never going past the level of next-to-last guy on the bench. I enjoyed playing baseball, football, track, basketball, whatever.
I still enjoy it, although my competition is now 30-some years younger. Most of the time, I'm trying to lose (Shhh ... don't tell anybody).
Well, at the end of last summer, I was sitting on the couch competing in my favorite sport of late (opening a beer and watching the Phillies). All of a sudden, I started to feel dizzy. I stood up and had a hard time keeping my balance.
At that moment, I decided it was time for a change.
I started walking around the block instead of laying down on the couch. In October, the YMCA opened in Haverford.
I signed up and was there on the first day.
It was time to get serious about exercising. I had done a good job a few years ago, but, you know, things happened in life and I let it all go.
When I went the first day, I can admit now I was up near 300 pounds. It wasn't fun.
The first couple of weeks were painful, but I saw a goal.
There was a sign for the Broad Street Run and I thought, there you go, if it comes to signup time and I feel like I'm still going forward, I'm doing it.
Well, 50 pounds and four months later, I feel confident I can do it.
So, when the e-mail came through yesterday saying we were entered (I'm going to run with my 14-year old son and my younger brother), there was a mix of trepidation and elation.
Now to really get serious. I'm sure there are people out there who don't think I can do it, but it's time to prove them (and me) wrong.

No comments: