Blogs > Rise and Shine

Good Morning everbody. Check here for your wake up call every day. We will have updated traffic, weather and few fun things to get you through the morning.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Time to get it going

Good Morning and there's a reason I haven't looked out the window this morning!

I don't consider myself an athlete by any stretch of the limitations of the word. I played sports though high school, but, when I look back, it was for the social interaction. I was never going past the level of next-to-last guy on the bench. I enjoyed playing baseball, football, track, basketball, whatever.
I still enjoy it, although my competition is now 30-some years younger. Most of the time, I'm trying to lose (Shhh ... don't tell anybody).
Well, at the end of last summer, I was sitting on the couch competing in my favorite sport of late (opening a beer and watching the Phillies). All of a sudden, I started to feel dizzy. I stood up and had a hard time keeping my balance.
At that moment, I decided it was time for a change.
I started walking around the block instead of laying down on the couch. In October, the YMCA opened in Haverford.
I signed up and was there on the first day.
It was time to get serious about exercising. I had done a good job a few years ago, but, you know, things happened in life and I let it all go.
When I went the first day, I can admit now I was up near 300 pounds. It wasn't fun.
The first couple of weeks were painful, but I saw a goal.
There was a sign for the Broad Street Run and I thought, there you go, if it comes to signup time and I feel like I'm still going forward, I'm doing it.
Well, 50 pounds and four months later, I feel confident I can do it.
So, when the e-mail came through yesterday saying we were entered (I'm going to run with my 14-year old son and my younger brother), there was a mix of trepidation and elation.
Now to really get serious. I'm sure there are people out there who don't think I can do it, but it's time to prove them (and me) wrong.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home