Monday, August 30, 2010

Rise and Shine --- Butterflies

Good Morning and welcome to the end of summer!

The stomach is churning. The head is spinning. The hands are shaking. The nerves were enough to make sleep turn into a pointless proposition.
It's the first day of school. The children are fine (well, at least as fine as you can be heading to school after a couple months off). It's Dad who's trying to shake it off.
I know I worry too much, but this time of year always turns my stomach into a gymnastics meet.
I worry about Liam heading into middle school. I know he can handle the work, but it's a whole new world. I just want him to do the best he can. I want him to blossom. I don't want him to worry about lockers, books, new friends or old friends. He's been excited about the start of a new school year. He likes learning. I'm sure he'll do fine, but I can't help but want to wrap him up.
Brendan is going to a new school this year as a third-grader. He's tough. I know he'll adapt. I know he'll become a leader. He's the type other children follow, even those who don't know him. Still, I want to throw him on my shoulders and run.
Malena smiles. She dances. She sings. Now, she's off to kindergarten. The flower is blossoming. I'm going to watch the clock all day until school is done. Then, I'm going to swoop her up and not let go.
Most of all, though, I'll miss the fun of summer. I'll miss the late mornings and the bike rides. I'll miss the crazy arguments. I know time moves forward, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

No comments: