Monday, May 24, 2010

Rise and Shine --- Getting Lost

Good Morning and welcome back to the clouds!

So, I remember six years ago when the show 'Lost' came on the air. The first episode was so well written and perfectly filmed, that I was hooked.
Now, I don't watch as much TV as I did before the children were born. There just isn't as much time to veg out in front of the tube.
For 'Lost,' though, I made an exception. It was the only show I made sure I caught from the first episode to the last. Sure, it was frustrating. There were a lot of false leads, crazy circumstances and a head-scratching narrative.
Maybe that's why I liked it so much.
When the show started, there were a handful of people I knew who grabbed on to it. Some of them faded away from watching, frustrated by the mysteries that never seemed to be resolved.
So, for the finale last night, I made sure everybody got to bed so I could catch the last few hours.
Sometimes the endings disappoint. Many who watched the 'Sopranos' for all those years hated the ending.
Who hasn't read a book, got caught up in the characters only to throw it down after the last page? There have been movies that were great all the way until the last act when it falls apart with a too quick, too easy finish.
I was expecting much the same with 'Lost.' After all, it's pretty tough to live up to the hype.
When the final credits rolled Sunday, I sat there, a little frustrated. What do you mean they are all dead? Wasn't that what people were saying all these years, only to be rebuffed by the writers?
Then, while mulling it over, I realized it might have been one of the more brilliant ends in the history of entertainment.
They died, but they weren't dead during the run of the show. They connected. They loved. They lost. They hurt. They cried.
Yeah, I know it's all just a made up story, but, in the end, it was a fictionalized story of all our lives.
Maybe we all need to find our island.

No comments: