Blogs > Rise and Shine

Good Morning everbody. Check here for your wake up call every day. We will have updated traffic, weather and few fun things to get you through the morning.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Rise and Shine --- Philosophy

Good Morning and welcome to another weekend!

So, you get these kinds of questions from children all the time: Daddy why do they call it the weekend?
Well, I wish I would have been asked why the sky was blue. Then I could have dazzled with my knowledge of the atmosphere.
I could have been asked why sea water is so salty. That way I could have talked about salt basins, fish and the like.
Instead, I get the philosophical question about the weekend.
Well, I said, it's called the weekend because it's the end of the week.
"How come," came the followup, "it's the weekend, but Sunday is the start of a new week."
Um, well, it's the weekend because you have a couple of days off from school. You end one week and start the next week.
"Yeah, but shouldn't it be called the end-starter."
Sure, but weekend is much quicker. Besides, it does end the week.
"But, it starts a new one."
OK, um, want to know why the sky is blue?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home