Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rise and Shine --- Of sleep and work

Good Morning and where did that frost come from this morning!

I'm going to admit something right now, just to get it out of the way, sometimes during the day (especially when it reaches the end of the work day), my head starts to bob. I'm sure I've dozed off once in a while. Hey, it happens. My alarm goes off at 3:30 a.m. and, now that baseball season is in full swing, well, I don't go to bed as early as I should at night.
Most of the time, though, a cup of coffee will do the trick. Either that or I get up and walk around a little.
Now, comes this story from the the Tacoma News-Tribune: Ken Griffey Jr. missed a chance to pinch-hit in a game last week for the Mariners because he had fallen asleep.
That's right. He fell asleep. During a game. While his team was playing.
Now, my grandfather used to fall asleep at the dinner table sometimes, but he was like 90 years old. Babies fall asleep on the floor while playing with toys, but they are like under 2.
Ken Griffey Jr., who has made millions playing a game, is 40-years old. Sure, he's at the end of his career, but how can you fall asleep during a game?
Now, I might fall asleep during a baseball game, but I'm watching it on TV. I'm not being paid to be a member of the team.
Sure, we could all use a couple of hours of shuteye, but work probably isn't the place to do it.
You know, if you can't stay awake at work, maybe it's time to re-evaluate what you are doing.

No comments: