Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rise and Shine

GOOD MORNING, DELAWARE COUNTY!

Ever wonder why there is so much hype for upcoming movies?
There are stories about people lining up for the new 'Sex and the City' movie for over a week now. The film doesn't officially open until Friday.
I understand being excited about seeing a favorite story or whatever becoming a movie and heading to the theater.
But still, lining up a week before the showing?
Of course, this isn't the first time its happened and it won't be the last.
I remember, way back in time, when the 'Empire Strikes Back' was scheduled to come out. People lined up the day of the movie, got the tickets and sat down to watch.
Of course, when the 'Return of the Jedi' came out, there were longer lines and they started earlier. Still, unless I've blocked it from my mind, I don't remember the lines starting a week before the opening.
No, this is a more 'recent' thing. When the next batch of Star Wars movies started coming out, there were lines ahead of the opening. Of course, those lines also contained many people dressed as their favorite characters, so ...
Back in my youth, I stood in a couple of lines overnight. Once was to see Bruce Springsteen play at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh and another was to see the Rolling Stones play the Vet. At the time, it seemed worth it and kind of fun, especially when the beer started flowing and the pizzas were delivered.
Movies, though, are a different animal. They will probably be in the theaters through the summer, so there is plenty of time to see it.
Maybe I'm missing something with 'Sex and the City.' I only saw the show once and found it pretty boring. I'll probably never see the movie.
Then again, with gas prices out of hand and an unneccesary war still going on in Iraq, maybe we all need a break.
I'll be on the lookout for a few people dressed like Batman over the next few weeks.


If you have any cool links or photos, send them along to onlinedelco@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the sheep?