Friday, April 30, 2010

Rise and Shine --- Blast from the past

Good Morning and welcome to a summer weekend!

Watching the videos we had online about the playground build in Haverford brought back a lot of memories.
Five years ago, I was part of a build while living in Elkins Park. It was the same deal, there were years of planning, fund raising, a road race and, finally, the build.
It was an exhilarating, exhausting experience that still brings back a twinge of pain in my back every time I think about it.
Still, after taking a ride over there yesterday afternoon, it's still amazing. The experience of working with people, taking something from nothing to a beautiful playground that will be there for years to come is, in the end, overwhelming.
So, with the sun shining, we walked around the playground and I was able to point out each nail I hammered and every piece of wood I cut.
The best part, at least to me, is the little things I put in (and maybe other people as well). When each part was done, I made sure to leave the name of a couple of children I know underneath.
They are still there. Hopefully, they will be there 20 years from now and I can go back and remember.
I'm sure everybody who worked so hard in Haverford last week will have the same memories.

No comments: